Thursday 8 May 2008

Final Blog :(

Questionnaire


Age?
19

Sex?
Female

What is your degree subject (both if joint)?
Psychology

Does ‘Being Bad’ relate well to the other modules you are taking?
In some ways yes, but mostly no.

If so, how? And if not, why not?
Because it has allowed me to think about the psychological reasons behind being bad, especially in topics I wouldn't have considered before, but on the whole it is not related.

Have you found ‘Being Bad’ too demanding, too easy, or at an appropriate level?
I think it is at an appropriate level.

Do you think the list of topics covered on the module was appropriate?
Yes, all of the topics relate to 'being bad' in one way or another.

Are there any topics not included in the module that you would like to see included?
Not that I can think of.

Do you think that the format for classes has worked well?
Yes

What did you think of the module team?
Mostly very good speakers and entertaining and interesting.

Do you think it would have been better to have had more:
- Small group discussions?

It can be interesting to hear other peoples ideas and opinions, but I think the amount was good.
- Discussion and debate among the class as a whole?
Again it is interesting but I think there was enough
- Information and talk from lecturers?
For most of the lectures there was enough of this, but with the 'Bandits and Outcasts' for example there wasn't that much. The others were alright though.



The approach taken in the module is interdisciplinary (drawing on perspectives from English Literature, Film Studies, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Media Studies and Politics): do you think this a useful way of approaching the topics covered in the module?
Yes, because you get to see different perspectives and dynamic, and a lot of the topics are quite diverse.

Do you think that interdisciplinary modules are a good idea?
I think they are a good idea because they provide a wider spectrum of ideas than just sticking to one school of thought. It also makes it more interesting.

Do you think you have benefited from the interdisciplinary approach taken in the module?
Yes, it has opened my mind to different views and ideas.

Would you like to see more modules that cover this kind of subject matter?
It is a very interesting subject matter, but I think it would only work again if it looked more in depth into the ideas are reasons why people engage in certain 'bad' behaviour (such as psychological, biological, etc)

Are you planning to take the follow-up module PH2004 ‘It Shouldn't Be Allowed’ at level 2?
Sadly second year Psychology doesn't allow me to pick elective modules but if I could I'd say definitely!

Would you recommend ‘Being Bad’ to a friend?
Definitely

Do you think that the blogs (web logs) were a good idea?
I think it was a very good idea. It allows people to write their own opinion and express how they feel about a subject as well as see and comment on others opinion. It also encourages independent research into topics not covered, which I found very interesting and fun.

What did you think of the other assessments (e.g. would it be better to have one longer assessment rather than two shorter ones?)?
I think the other assessments work well. It is more interesting to have to write a creative piece and an essay rather than just 2 essays. However as they are both short assignments I found it quite difficult to keep to the word limit as I wanted to write more. But I do still think it works well.

What have you learned from the module?
I have learnt a lot of things, the most interesting and prominent being the different histories and traditions between forms of body modification.

What parts of the module have you found most useful and why?
I think doing a blog was very useful because it allowed me to experiemnt with a different way of sharing my opinions and feelings.

What parts do you think were a waste of time and why?
Bantdits & Outlaws wasn't that interesting. I think most of the other topics worked well because they are relevent today & people were able to share stories or give their opinions, and some of the topics are quite common in the press (eg drugs). There aren't really any bandits or outlaws in the modern day so it wasnt really relevant.

Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding ‘Being Bad’?
I really enjoyed this module, I think it was run very well and the assesments were interesting. The only negative thing I can think is that there were quite a few people on the module who obviously weren't that interested in it and sadly spoiled some lectures for the rest of us, but talking through them, thats my only complaint. It was lots of fun :)

No comments: